Saturday, November 19, 2011

Alesana--Where Myth Fades To Legend Review


Artist: Alesana
CD title: Where Myth Fades To Legend
Genre: Scream/hardcore
How I Got It: Gifted, I think.
Sounds like: Silverstein
Favorite song: Seduction, As You Wish
Makes you wanna: I don't even know...
Best to listen to: Um...I don't know.

I'm going to start this review with a disclaimer: I am not really into screamo. I don't hate it, and I love Chiodos. My favorite screamo band, fo sho. So I kept comparing Alesana to Chiodos in my mind, and...well, Alesana didn't live up.

Even when you stop comparing the two, Alesana--or this CD at least--is not for me.

Their instrumentals are good, actually. I have no problem with heavy instrumentals when it's not just for-the-sake-of-making-noise heavy instrumentals, and I didn't have that problem with Alesana. So, you know, points to them. I also didn't have a problem with their singers voice. It's stands apart from other singers, in my opinion, though sometimes it can get a little nasally.

I didn't love the screaming, really. Maybe that's part of the reason this album didn't work for me. I'd be digging the song and he'd start screaming and then it all just felt a little too chaotic for me.

That's the word I'd use to describe this entire CD: chaotic. If you like chaotic music, check it out. I don't.

Favorite song: Seduction, As You Wish

I originally heard of Alesana through one of the Van's Warped Tour Compilation, and it was Seduction. I really liked that song, and actually still do. It's fun.

As You Wish is their only slow song on this CD, and despite the chick's voice (which, obviously, I don't like) it's a pretty good song. A little creepy, but still.

Makes you wanna: I don't even know...

This CD doesn't really get any emotions from me, sadly. Maybe I occasionally want to jump around and jam a little, but not even really.

Best to listen to: Um...I don't know.

I honestly don't really see myself listening to this much at all, if I'm being completely honest.

Final verdict: Not for me. Maybe screamo fans will enjoy it more, but it just wasn't my favorite. At all.

--Jessica

No comments: