Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review: Fences

Artist: Fences
CD title: Fences (Self-titled)
Genre: Alternative/Indie/Acoustic/SHOEGAZE/GRIME (No clue what those last two are, but it was on their FB page, sooo...)
How I Got It: My mom bought it after hearing one song and thinking Mansfield's voice was hot.
Sounds like: The Shins, Elliott Smith, a little bit of The Smiths, a more mature Apaty Eulogy, or a stripped down Jack's Mannequin, maybe?
Favorite song: Girls With Accents, Hands
Makes you wanna: Cry and/or sing-along.
Best to listen to: ALL THE TIME.

I feel like 2010 was The Year of Mumford and Sons in the alternative music world. Which, y'know, is great. I love Mumford. But I do feel like a lot of other great new artists got over-looked in the Mumford and Sons haze, and Fences is definitely one of them. Somebody explain to me why Fences isn't bigger than they (he?) are?

Fences is the music alias of one Christopher Mansfield, a guy who has obviously been through his fair share of crap. But none of his lyrics come off as over-dramatic or emo. Instead, each of his songs are raw and honest and easy to relate to.

Favorite song: Girls With Accents, Hands

I absolutely ADORE all of the songs on this CD. It had been way to long until I felt that with a CD before Fences came into my life, and it was so spectacular to have that feeling again.

But if I had to choose between all of these heartfelt, and catchy, songs, I'd have to pick Girls With Accents and Hands. Girls With Accents is by far the most up-beat song on the CD, but it doesn't sacrifice the wonderful lyricism to be up-beat. And I think everyone can relate to the God I F*** Up Everything feeling.

Hands really gets to me though, on an emotional level. I listened to it on repeat because at one point it just fit my life really ridiculously well (to me, it means someone that your close to leaving you unexpectedly), and I have no doubt that that will happen to me again, and Hands will be there for me again.

Makes you wanna: Cry and/or sing-along.

Depending on what mood you're in, Mansfield's stripped down songs will make you bawl, or wanna sing along. I'm not sure how to describe how the two fit together but...they do.

Best to listen to: ALL THE TIME.

I listen to it while reading, doing chores, in the car, and while falling asleep. When I say all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME. I think it's impossible for me to get sick of this CD. You must listen to it to decide for yourself, though. (No seriously, go listen to it.)


--Jessica

No comments: